Friday, August 26, 2011

Oh yeah. The part where I talk about my progress

As of day five, I can say with certainty that I've lost a pretty nice little chunk of weight, but I'll save the real results for Sunday because I plan on doing official weigh-ins only once a week. I don't want to blow your freaking mind every single day. I'm taking in an average amount of calories and still being fairly liberal about my activity. Just enough to keep the blood flowing, not going for that target-heart-rate stuff that trainers always talk about. I'm doing exactly what I've always done. Long walks across parking lots and taking the stairs, with the occasional low-impact hike. I have to stress that I am not following any kind of activity regimen and some days I'm just a lazy asshole.

As many of my regular readers may have noticed by now, I've made some small mentions of carbohydrates. The science behind insulin, blood-sugar, and carbohydrates is nothing new. In fact, Dr. John Rollo made these findings in 1797 while treating diabetics. This became the standard and notably remains utilized to this day (with many advancements, of course). What occurred when the carbohydrates were removed from the diet is the lowering of insulin levels and entering a state of 'ketosis' - a state where compounds are produced by the breakdown of fatty acids.

Bear with me here, I'll try to keep this as understandable as humanly possible.

When the liver is not processing glucose (a sugar that all carbohydrates are converted to in the body), it sends the message to your body to start breaking down triglycerides (the things that fill up your fat cells and make them big and flabby). The liver and kidneys then take these fatty acids and process them. Ketone bodies are the byproduct of this and they're sent to the heart and brain to keep you alive. Now, if you operate under the consideration that the way your body breaks down fat cells efficiently is by using them to power the heart and brain, you may notice that what a lot of 'experts' say on the topic may be not only off-base, but flat-out wrong.
This doesn't meant that there isn't merit to exercise. There's been plenty of support for the idea that moderate, low impact exercise is good for the heart and lungs (as high impact workouts have shown to cause some long-term physical harm that would make it at least discouraged for the sake of your bones). But what I'm getting at here is that the calories in/calories out model is outdated and needs a lot of refinement before it's properly applied to the paradigm of weight loss.

Of course this long winded and wordy post is entirely up to debate, but I've got a lot of scientific study behind my set of rules whereas the average 'diet expert' hardly has the background in biochemistry and biology that led to these findings.

I promise the next one will be funny. Probably. Or not.

1 comment: