Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Skinny and fat advice.

Skinny people never have good weight-loss advice.  They typically, at worst, have had no more than a few to a  dozen pounds to lose at any point in their lives.  When you're in that weight zone, you have no perspective on what it's like to try and haul an extra 50+ pounds around while you beat yourself up to lose weight.  No offense, but fuck your advice.
This goes doubly for the mesomorphs of this world.  You were genetically engineered to be in shape, and your working out only enhances what you already have.  Taking advice from these guys (and most personal trainers are these guys), is like driving around in a minivan and being told by a guy behind the wheel of a Porsche to just "give it more gas".  No thanks, we can't change the car our parents bought us.  We can only modify it.
"Yes, the racing stripe does make it faster"

I know some of you may be thinking that I'm being judgmental and jumping to conclusions with these groups of people, but that puts you in a category I like to call "Overthinkers".

Which brings me to the next group I can't stand the advice of.

My negative, know-it-all fat friends.
Disclaimer: I am not saying all fat people are know-it-alls or negative.  I'm saying I have a few fat friends who carry those traits with a vengeance.  And the reason I even bother with the word "fat" here is that none of my non-fat friends are like this.
The worst one, by far, is the friend who constantly scrutinizes my progress.  When I dropped the first ten pounds (way before this blog), I posted how excited I was to have lost ten pounds in a week based on the books I read, and she was the first to comment.  It was something to the effect of "Eh, it's just water weight.  You can't lose weight without cutting calories and exercise."
Well, negative Nancy, I've lost at least 35 pounds now, most of it in the first month, and if anything I've actually gotten lazier.  (Another disclaimer: I'm not being lazy on purpose, I've just gotten too into lazy activities recently.  Exercise is good for the heart and body *the more you know*)
I don't count my calories, but I know for a fact that I am well over 2000 per day, likely in the 3000 range.
So, to that I say: "Nanny nanny boo boo, fuck off."
I know, I know.  I'm being a dick.  But that's the thing.  I find it incredibly dickheaded to bother saying negative things when someone is obviously trying to accomplish something.  Say all the negative crap you want when I harp on and on about social issues or politics, but for the love of Odin, this is one of those "if you don't have anything nice to say..." situations.  Feel free to debate me on the details of my lifestyle and such, but if I'm just having a moment of triumph, for fuck's sake, leave the jealous crap at home.
Another friend of mine messaged me to tell me that he was upset that I'm promoting this kind of diet, and that he "heard that it can kill you".  First off, I've kept the details of my diet (which isn't really a diet, so much as it's not eating certain things as a rule) fairly shrouded.  Like I've mentioned before, I'd recommend you either seek proper advice on how to do it, or at least buy a book that can get you on the right track.  If anything, I'd only recommend cutting back on carbs, but I can't speak for the overall scope of one's diet because I'm what the experts like to call "not an expert".  My gripe here is that I'm being told that my diet is dangerous by someone who, if he doesn't do anything about it, will likely develop health problems because of his diet.  Maybe there are some risks in what I'm doing, but I also take care to be very aware of how I feel from day to day.  I'm very alert to any potential diet-related complications as I can be a bit of a hypochondriac sometimes.  It's not that I'm crazy, it's that I'm trying to live forever.

Anyway, I think that's going to wrap up my rant for today.  I suppose I should have made this the "Angry Fat Guy Experiment", but I didn't, cause fuck you.

I kid.  Have a wonderful day!

-P

For some extra perspective, check out the following exerpt: #2. We're Hard-Wired to Have a Double Standard (link opens in a new window)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks you jesus. (Today Pascual will be playing the role of jesus.) I want to copy the first paragraph of this post and send it to about 300 healthy living bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do! I'm sick of their shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNEW the racing stripes made cars faster! VALIDATION!!!! personally, I'm pretty interested to know what kind of eating habits you've developed. I have had every doctor I've seen (and I've seen a LOT) tell me that my hormones are so messed up from having kids that I'll NEVER lose all the weight that I've gained from my pregnancies. They basically told me "sorry your fat, you're doomed to be fat forever...have a nice day fatty."

    I've tried EVERYTHING to lose weight. EVERYTHING. Fad diets, weight loss programs (Jenny Craig, weight watchers, Medifast, Nutrisystem)...calorie confusion, I've tried starving myself and that worked for about a month, and I nearly killed myself. Not worth it. And nothing had long term or permanent results.

    So, though I know you're keeping your method close to the hilt, I would relish some advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the basic premise of how I eat is ketogenic, meaning in layman's terms "low carb". But, I don't follow anything strict. I just stay under 50 grams of net carbs a day. It really just boils down to no sugar or starches (bread, potatoes, yada yada).

    I've done nothing in terms of getting more active, so this is all diet-based loss. Hormonal weight problems are ESPECIALLY sensitive to this because insulin production is pretty much at the core of weight gain for most.

    I'd highly recommend looking into it. For some it can be hard to kick carbs, but it's because your body actually becomes chemically dependent (via insulin spikes)and has to basically go through withdrawals.

    Anyway, hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and sorry about the confusing multiple account posting. LOL

    ReplyDelete